Yes, they’ve found my backyard full of Papaya “babies”. I actually lost 6 nicely growing ones, so after some thought, I’ve decided to Bag my Babes.
I made these bags from used odd sized frost sheets with jute twine ties. I’m using jute as they are fibrous and will not loosen or slip open when simply pulled/tightened around the fruit stem.
Frost sheets allows the fruit to get some sun and me to see its progress. When it gets to 80% of its full-size, I will use a stretchable knee-length hose over it as the fruit size will then be able to hold it up nicely.
For information, the Papaya Fruit Fly (Toxotrypana curvicauda Gerstaecker) is vicious and University of Florida site has details and some very good pics to give an idea.
If you have small yellow ones, get rid of them. I’ve decided to boil them to kill all in there, for safety’s sake (so no re-hatching) and to help reduce their population with no chemicals.
I actually managed to get a photo of this nasty fly sitting on my protective bag.