Our Swarm Box saga, parts 1 & 2 is finally coming to its finale.
Swarm Box on Top-Bar Hive
It has sat on our Top Bar Hive for 2 days and after much advice seeking and deliberation, we felt today would be just right to put the bees (that came to our front yard) where they will bee comfortable (pardon the pun).
Time for their big move …
Roof came off the Swarm Box
1 of 5 large combs built in a week!
No frames! They did their own thing.
The Box and Hive were of the same dimensions so each bar would sit comfortably from Box to Hive, in the same sequence. When 14 bars with their combs were transferred to the Hive, the poor bees were in a bit of a frenzy but fortunately not furious and only for about 15 minutes. So we sprayed some water to persuade them to calm down and head ‘indoors’.
We tried spotting the Queen but did not want to stretch the move unnecessarily long. Finally we left them be, allowing some to find their own way to the entrance of their new abode.
90% of the population in the new Hive
3 hours later
They seem to have adjusted well. It’s drizzling right now so I hope they are comfortably tucked up in their new home with rooms and furniture which they built and are accustomed to.
Today, us Accidental Beekeepers decided to check on our pets to see if all is OK with them in their relatively new abode. We’ve observed from the outside but have not intruded into their ‘private’ lives. We just felt today, without breeze and mildly warm, would be a good time to look them up.
Our Top Bar Hive
Yes, we replenished their Feeder
Each doing their thing
Thank goodness we checked because this piece had fallen off the mesh hooks.
Took out the fallen piece
… and re-attached it.
The sweet bees are simply happy to live in their new apartment, which makes us happy 😛
… so we all live happily ever after.
BUT !! … Continue reading
8 days ago when we peeked into our Rain Barrel Cabinet to check on our Bee population, we saw a portion of Bees’ Comb had already fallen off from their adopted habitat but did not touch it. Perhaps it got a little heavy with honey & babies… (just guessing) but it did look already vacated. We decided to leave it alone for a little longer.
Today we checked again ~ we found it was dry and only 5 babies had met their demise in their ‘comb-crib’. We gently salvaged it as this will be used to lure the Bee population & their Queen (or new Queen) to their new Bee-Box presently being built, in our garage.
Symmetrical hexagons ~ almost looks pre-measured!
I’m beginning to love Mother Nature more and more …